Plan International is a rights-based development and humanitarian organization working for better lives for all children. We are independent of government and have no political or religious affiliation. Our purpose is to strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Our global strategy has a specific focus on girls, as they are often the most marginalized and most often left behind. We have committed ourselves to the ambitious target of reaching 100 million girls over 5 years, to ensure they can learn, lead, decide and thrive. This is our contribution to reaching the sustainable development goals and in particular the goals of gender equality. Our organization is transforming itself to meet this enormous challenge everywhere we work. We need bold, forward-thinking and innovative individuals to lead our country operations, driving change and delivering results that will allow us to reach our target of 100 million girls.
In Ethiopia, Plan has more than 25 years of experience in implementing its programme. Currently, PIE mainly operates in seven geographical areas; Amhara, Oromia, SNNPR, Gambella, Benishangul Gumuz, Afar, and Addis Ababa City Administration on different projects funded by different donors including sponsorship.
This position is responsible to realize a rapid, proportionate and effective implementation process of this project as per the deliverables in the project document. S/he will need to coordinate with the EU Project manager, PLANs Education/Child protection/Gender protection staff and other governmental & non-governmental stakeholders working in the refugee camps and host communities.
The officer may be expected to take a very active role in technical coordination, and support with the specific education Clusters and other stakeholders and technical agencies relevant to the sector.
Contract Duration: Six months with possible extension
Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Project Management and Implementation
· Work closely with the Project manager to ensure that the implementation of project activities are progressing as planned and implemented in a phased and prioritized manner in full consultation and coordination with all relevant PIE staff and agencies both governmental and non-governmental
· A well-demonstrated collaboration with Gambella regional and Woreda education sector bureau for relevant to the implementation of host community activities of the project. I similar manner responsible for coordination with ARRA & UNHCR education and protection units to ensure the smooth implementation of project activities in refugee camps
· Active involvement in contributing inputs for any revision in the deep implementation plan (DIP) and phased budget of the project as required
· Expected to internalize him/herself with the logical framework, project documents(DIP & Phased budget ) , minimum standards for child protection & education and other relevant government policies/strategies to guide the project implementation process
· Provide technical guidance and direction to the project for effective planning, implementation and monitoring of agreed education plans with special emphasis on the most vulnerable children and their families/primary caregivers
· Make frequent field visits to the intervention areas (both refugee camps and host communities) to monitor the implementation of project activities, identify opportunities and constraints and any adjustments needed in consultation with the Project manager
· Design and develop appropriate surveillance, monitoring and evaluation systems for education interventions in the target areas
· Ensure child protection issues are properly integrated and mainstreamed in the education and other related sectors to create a safe and protective school and community environment.
· Create child protection capacity, enable linkage and collaboration among the school community, the general community, parents, government and other service-providing sectors such as health, nutrition, police, kebele, justice and court, CCC etc. for better protection and response services.
· Work closely with the school community to establish and strengthen school clubs to ensure proper child participation.
· Establish and enable a referral pathway whereby children in the community will be better protected and responded through a network of service providers synergizing with each other.
· Responsible to ensure the actualization of gender and child protection components of project activities in coordination with the Gender officer and Child Protection staff of PIE and further liaising with Gambella regional and Woreda women & children sector bureau(BWCA).
· Ensure early and rigorous implementation of quality benchmarks and accountability mechanisms (Compliance feedback and response mechanism )in collaboration with the Monitoring and Evaluation officer
· Strengthening the capacity of existing community-based structures available both in the host and refugee communities ( both child protection and education community-based structures)
· Provide educational expertise for Regional Education Bureau and the Gambella Teachers’ Education and Health Science College (TEHSC) to conduct various joint assessments in the host community schools
· Conducting Knowledge, attitude and practice assessment (KAP) to identify key gaps and barriers to accessing quality education in refugee and host community schools thereby support on the development of gender-sensitive school improvement plans (SIPs)/school development plans (SDPs),
· Coordinate with PIE education thematic lead to ensure that teachers are able to deliver on agreed SIPs/SDPs to deliver quality learning and enhance the capacity of the responsible education authorities
· Closely working with education thematic lead to identifying Continuous Professional Development (CPD) and other relevant training for teachers through conducting a transparent and ethical assessment on learning outcomes
· Provide inputs for the project manager during the identification process of school blocks, latrines and Hand wash construction site through active involvement in the assessment of gaps in the project intervention areas
· Work jointly with PIE education thematic lead and Regional Education Bureau to review the Education Information Management System (EIMS) and contribute to the development of an assessment strategy to assess the gaps and identify the needs of the EMIS and the areas where additional support is needed
· Work in partnership with the responsible government sectors and the schools, as well as the ECCD centers, to assess the capacity building and learning/teaching materials needs of target school members both in the refugee camps and host community, providing them with the relevant support according to the platform of the project documents
Planning and Reporting
· Develop and share for the project manager feasible annual, quarterly and monthly operational plan in reference to the DIP, Phased budget and Procurement plan of the project
· Submit to the project manager a quality and timely monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual project progress reports relevant to the project outcome, outputs and indicators
· Draft detailed training and distribution plan and share respective reports complemented through clear and logical supportive documentations/Means of verifications stated in the logical framework
Information and Co-ordination
· Provide regular updates to Project Manager on new developments, priorities and constraints – verbally/ in writing on an agreed frequency
· Engage and follow up with relevant implementation manager(s)
· Represent PIE to governmental and non-governmental groups as needed and agreed with the Project Manager
· Support the implementation of the project and represent PIE in any education coordination mechanisms including any relevant cluster in consultation with the project manager
· Co-ordination with the relevant government authorities, school directors, other stakeholders and Community based structures to fasten the project implementation process
· Regular follow-up and coaching of Community facilitators/assistants/National teachers who are hired to support the educational activities both in refugee and host community scenarios
· Resolves many challenges which typically occur in the project implementation process at the PA level and external coordination level, while introducing innovations as needed to meet the demands of a dynamic and sometimes unpredictable operating environment while ensuring Plan systems and policies are adhered to
Educational Qualification and Experience
· B.A. degree in Education, Community Development, Social Science, Development studies.
· Two to three years of working in Education and Child protection programs both at a refugee camp and in a development context.
· Knowledge of humanitarian activities at refugee camps and understanding of development program interventions
· Awareness and sensitivity to gender and child protection issues
· Comprehensive knowledge of minimum standards for education and child protection at humanitarian and development contexts. This includes familiarity with the government education and child protection policy.
Skills Specific to the Post
· Competent in use of basic computer operating systems(Word , Excel , PPT)
· Commendable writing and communication skill
· Interest and love to work with children
· Good command of the English language (both spoken & written)
· Knowledge of Nuer and/or Anuac languages is an asset.
How to Apply
The closing date for the application is Jan 18 2022. Qualified candidates should submit the application using the link provided below:
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
More information about Plan International can be found on http://plan-international.org
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy. The plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all persons meeting the skills and experience required.
As an international child centered community development organization, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realization of children’s rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we as an organization, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
JOB REQUIREMENT Qualification: BED /BSC (PGDT) in Physics, Mathematics from a recognized institution with a very good command of the...Apply For This Job
JOB REQUIREMENT Qualification: BED /BA (PGDT) in History, Geography, Civics from a recognized institution with very good command of English language...Apply For This Job
The National Election Board of Ethiopia (NEBE), re-established by proclamation No. 1133/2011, is the constitutionally mandated body to conduct elections,...Apply For This Job
JOB REQUIREMENT Qualification: BED /BA (PGDT) in History from a recognized institution with very good command of English language Experience: 2...Apply For This Job